Friday, September 21, 2012

Marvel Bar

Marvel had been high on my must-visit list since it opened. The quasi-hidden entrance, the buzz, the dangerously convenient proximity to Bachelor Farmer, the rumor that they use ice sculpture-grade ice...my expectations were high.

And I cannot say enough swell things about this little speakeasy. The bouncer (doorman? ID checker?) was smiley and warm, and when we walked by later in the evening his nose was buried in a book. In my heart, I know it was Kerouac. Maybe Hemingway, if he insists on that sort of dude.
The interior was softly lit but not dark. It's not a bedroom eyes, gaze-lustfully-at-your-date type place (how I'd describe La Belle Vie, for instance). It's cozy without feeling homey. You're definitely a guest, not an old friend, but there's a comfort in that, too.

I had the Ladykiller, my date had the Lincoln County. Mine was smooth as silk,  with only a touch of sweetness. And had we not had dinner reservations, I could have gleefully sucked down a couple and required an extra arm on the walk upstairs. I was honestly mesmerized by the clarity of the ice. I'm not sure I've ever had ice that sparkly before, and it seemed to melt at the perfect pace, never watering down the light flavors.

There was nothing "light" about my date's choice. In fact, upon ordering, he was warned that the Lincoln County was "smoky and aggressive." But of our drinks, hours was definitely the most unique, the one you kept in your mouth for a shade longer just to fully appreciate that you were drinking (and enjoying) liquid filtered over charcoal. Completely bizarre and wonderfully memorable.
I must go back, there are a dozen other creations to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment