Sunday, December 22, 2013

The Mason Jar

After a beautiful afternoon of snowshoeing, all that's desired is a cozy dinner spot and a glass of wine. As I'm a big fan of the Minneapolis Cupcake location, I was excited to give the Eagan Cupcake location's adjoining restaurant, The Mason Jar, a whirl.

Filled, of course, with mason jar light fixtures and kitschy mason jar art, the space is embracing a literal decor, which comes off warm and a bit cheesey (and who doesn't love cheese?). Not a bad set of adjectives for a spot with a pretty killer happy hour special of half price beer/wine and $6 pizzas.  My friend and I each had a glass of wine, a cup of soup, and split the Ms. Piggy pizza and our bills were just under $12 apiece. That is really tough to beat! The pizza was delicious, as was the vegetable soup, and the service was good, especially considering they're likely still working the kinks out at such a new location.

There were several items on the menu that I tucked away as justification for later visits (multiple hot dish options, fun appetizers, housemade pot pies).  Being the companion restaurant to the always yummy Cupcake bakery (link here to my review of the Minneapolis location), you'd expect great things out of any baked recipe, so I'd wager a glass of wine on their having a pretty great pot pie crust.  Add to that an impressive beer list with local favorites and the promise of cupcakes for dessert and this new spot is a fun, mason-jars-are-just-too-adorable addition to the restaurant file.

2 comments:

  1. Their pot pies are delicious! I love the puff ball pot pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't love cheese. I'm lactose intolerant, you insensitive clod!

    ReplyDelete