Monday, June 10, 2013

Hello Pizza

The night before half-marathons I usually insist on pizza. Pizza Luce serves me well but this time I decided a race was a good excuse to check out Hello Pizza, Ann Kim's new New York style restaurant in Edina. 

The restaurant is casual and super family-friendly. In fact, upon first glance, I wondered if maybe it was a bit too kid-friendly for my friend and I (kids are great but sometimes you're not really keen on competing with noise levels of somebody else's hellions).  But the space is comfy and not so cramped as to encourage irritating decibel levels.  So, if you've got kids in tow, this is a great, easy spot for supper.  And if you don't have kids in tow, don't worry, this place has all the charm of a neighborhood slice shop and the kids are too engrossed with their cheesy triangles to cause problems. And those cheesy triangles sit atop casually adorable plates that appear to be paper plates but are actually sturdy dinnerware. Cuteness overload.

But that cuteness has substance. The first bit of joy occurred while waiting in line when my friend pointed to the line-up of beverages and say, "Rae, isn't Cheerwine that drink you love?" What?! It's HERE?! Heaven help me. Even if the pizza was awful (which it definitely is not) I'd come back just for the joy of drinking my favorite soft drink, a product of my Southern homeland. A cherry-flavored cola far superior to cherry coke, you'll thank me once you take your first swig.

And that swig pairs beautifully with the Hello Trinity, topped with crimini mushrooms and sausage with an intense and delicious amount of fennel. The perfect amount of mozzarella coupled with that expert New York style crust, foldable without being wimpy, round out an excellent slice.  I paired my slice with the smoky greens.  I know some people don't like salad.  But lots of people like bacon.  If you like bacon and hate salad, I would encourage you to give this one a whirl.  The smoky bleu cheese and applewood smoked onions  give a meat-y heft to the greens without any actual meat. My mouth told me it was a light, crunchy bowl of greens.  My nose told me it was bacon. Magic, I swear. 

Follow me on Twitter @TheMinneapolite

No comments:

Post a Comment