Friday, June 7, 2013

Rye Deli

A good sandwich is a beautiful thing. there are few things more satisfying when you're feeling peckish and the perfectly chewy piece of bread paired with the right layer of ingredients can alleviate most of any day's ills.

I went to Rye Deli for the first time this week with my Mama along for the maiden voyage.  We were both starving so we started with the Deli Debris. Honestly, I didn't expect nachos. Fancy nachos. I expected a plate of odds and ends, glorified Lunchables. But Rye Deli knows better than that and piled their bagel chips with chunks of smoked meats and hot and sweet peppers and, of course, covered it with expertly melted cheese. It was a very heavy appetizer so Mom and I polished off maybe 1/6 of it before boxing the rest of it for Dad. It would be an awesome order for a table of happy hour buddies.

Sandwich-wise I opted for the Midnight Turkey.  This is an aptly named sandwich.  It just tastes like THE sandwich you would make if you were up late and found yourself staring at a stocked fridge (lucky!) that included wonderfully moist herb-y turkey, fresh sprouts, and crisp veggies to sit on top of a delicate lemon aioli. My fridge usually does not look like that, thus, I'm pretty sure midnight will happen upon me at some point in the future and I will yearn for this sandwich.

I didn't drink this time around, something I'd likely remedy next time given the interesting cocktail list and excellent local beer selection on tap and impressive list of bottle options. This is a spot more people should be heading to for happy hour (7 days a week, 2-7 pm), the drink and nosh specials are just too good to pass up. And if you're like me and call 55403, -04, -05, or -08 home, on Wednesdays you get 20% off! Embrace your neighborhood deli, order the Deli Debris!

Follow Me on Twitter @TheMinneapolite



No comments:

Post a Comment