Saturday, January 16, 2016

612 Sauna Society


IMG_1682As stated in the byline of this blog, I am not a native Minnesotan. I grew up in equal parts in Arkansas and Missouri, the former not being known for snow, and the latter not being known for snow that sticks around longer than a week. I don't consider myself to be a hearty winter-lover.  I'm a winter survivor. A muddle-througher. I feel like the 612 Sauna Society was made as much for me as it was for you crazy Minnesotan folks who like to jump in hot tubs and then roll in snow banks (*eye roll*). 


As its name suggests, the society is all about bringing saunas to the people and celebrating the lifestyle of sauna enthusiasts (which I did not know was a thing). It's a fun conglomerate of folks who love saunas, specifically saunas in the dead of winter. Recently the society teamed up with Little Box Sauna to bring their tiny box saunas to areas around town.  Selling tickets for $16 for 90 minutes, the sauna has just enough room for 8-10 people. 90 minutes is plenty of time, too. The sauna is split into two parts, a small changing area with curtains for privacy, and the sauna itself. My friend and I tended to stay in the sauna in 20 minute increments, taking a breather every once in awhile to cool off.  With the temps outside on a nose dive, it felt wonderful to really bake for awhile.  As the sauna was parked right by Blackbird Cafe, we trotted over there for their beer + burger night after toasting our insides thoroughly.  I slept like the dead.

Reservations are available here through Jan 17th, but hopefully the Little Box Sauna will pop up elsewhere soon.  It would be a fun thing to organize for an event, too.

Picture taken from the 612 Sauna Society webpage.


No comments:

Post a Comment