Friday, February 22, 2013

Ward 6

Nestled as I am in my dear little Whittier neighborhood (kinda Uptown, kinda downtown, kinda Eat Street, kinda LynLake), I don't venture to our sister city often. Even when I worked in St. Paul, I didn't take advantage of the many neighborhood restaurants and pubs that could have, perhaps, lessened the annoyance of a Metro Transit between Uptown and downtown St. Paul each day. 

Now that I work in a western 'burb, my tendency to head to St. Paul has decreased dramatically, aside from monthly trips to the Ordway,and I fully recognize that I'm missing out on some nifty eats and activities. But tonight I took a step towards remedying that problem (which is really just a result of laziness) by checking out Ward 6, a great neighborhood spot at Phalen and Payne. 

I went to the restaurant at the recommendation of a dear friend and former colleague from my St. Paul days who had peeked in before and found the place to be packed. She reads this blog and thought it seemed like a worthy spot for blogger exploration and I am always game for her company and always game for exploring new spots. So it was a win-win for me. Even at just past 5 on a Friday, an hour I tend to associate with the elderly, there was a 20+ minute wait for a table for 2.5 (we had a young one in tow).  It's great to see a new spot brimming with business and to see such a healthy mix of ages enjoying the atmosphere.  There were several little ones in attendance for such a small restaurant, a fact easily explained by a laid back vibe and some well thought out kiddie food options.  I was especially impressed by "I'll have what she's having," which is a smaller portion of whatever Mama (or Dada) is having for the pipsqueak. My friend's little one is a bit too small for such things at this point, but I can easily see why this would be a comfortable place for families. Great beer list for the parents (or the friends of parents in my case) and comfy enough to not worry about the occasional throwing of a shoe, dropping of a menu, or kid squeal-of-no-apparent-purpose.

We shared a large order of fries which came with a choice of two sauces. We didn't finish the fries so for two people I think I'd recommend a small serving. The fries were hot and perfectly salted, though not as crispy as I tend to prefer.  These were the softer variety, almost akin to roasted fries.  Excellent flavor and the range of sauce choices was cool. I'm a huge harissa fan after living in Morocco, and the harissa paste was a really fun side for the fries.  I would have liked it a bit spicier, but the flavors themselves were quite authentic. I ordered the beer cheese sauce as my second choice thinking, well, people up here really like beer cheese.  Evidently I do not like beer cheese.  Not a judgment against Ward 6's variety, just learning as I go sometimes. Harissa, yes! Beer cheese, no!

I had the camembert grilled cheese, which was light and delicious.  I love camembert with pears and the walnut butter was a nutty, slightly sweet companion to the bite of arugula. It was served on sourdough and I ended up taking the tops off and eating it open face, just because I think bread gets in the way of flavors sometimes. Melty camembert with excellent company (sleepy, adorable munchkin and all) was just what I needed after a never-ending work week.  Typically, the sandwich would come with fries but I opted for the beet salad on the side instead.  A few candied pecans, local blue cheese, beets, and a balsamic vinaigrette always make for a great salad.  Not reinventing anything here, just a solid mix of flavors that always make a mouth happy.  And the beet salad really went well with the camembert sandwich, I even smeared a bit of vinaigrette on my last bite of cheese-wrapped pear. 

My only regret is being too full for dessert.  They serve beignets (!!!) at Ward 6 and as a former New Orleanian, I feel it is my duty to judge them appropriately.  But I'll have to venture back for that excitement.  I'm not above having beignets and beer for supper. 

Follow me on Twitter @TheMinneapolite



No comments:

Post a Comment