Thursday, April 4, 2013

Parka

This was my second time at the Parka location, in the Longfellow neighborhood on Lake, but my first time to eat.  Note to my fellow people-who-drive-places-without-looking-up-hours, they're closed on Mondays. 

It's a great space, with an open floor plan next to Forage Modern Worshop, where I enjoy looking at furniture and decorating doodahs I cannot afford. Pricey though it may be, these are beautiful things, and if you're in the market for a statement piece for a new (or make-it-new) place, Forage is an awesome spot to poke around, dream, and possibly succumb to impulse shopping. 

The ham and pickle tots (pictured) were what lured me in, but the brussels sprouts won my heart.  The tots are great, and a fun way to start the meal.  A fresh twist on the ham+pickle combo we've all encountered at church potlucks, Parka does something miraculous not only with the tots themselves, but with the condiments. I'm a sucker for a good gel, paste, dip, smear, mush, relish, etc. The dill pickle gel (those green dots in the picture) was just wonderful, and when paired with the truffle smear (not sure what the correct term is), a bite of tot, and a dollop of whipped sour cream, every single flavor popped. Like the brine of pickle, the savoriness of truffle, and the sweetness of ham were all enthusiastically waving hello.

I like to think of myself as a solid roaster of brussels sprouts, but Parka put me in my place. These sprouts are good, and the boiled quail egg, candied (but not overly so) walnuts, and dry cheddar perfectly accented the occasional crisp leaf and warmly roasted sprout. You may peek at the menu and think brussels aren't a respectable choice for a meal but really, this was filling and satisfying in the way a solid vegetable dish should be. 

We were eating late in the evening and didn't want anything heavy so these dishes (plus an unpictured dish of delicious cabbage rolls) were perfect.  But at the end of the meal we did spy a couple of the desserts coming to other tables (holy moly, the doughnut ice cream!) and we smelled the spare ribs and green chili mac at the table next to us and realized we really should have come hungrier. 

Next time...

Follow me on Twitter @TheMinneapolite

No comments:

Post a Comment