Saturday, April 20, 2013

Trail Mix Trail Races

Photo: Pics from today's 15 miler. Kicked. My. Arse.This was my third time running the Trail Mix 25K. My first attempt, three years ago, goes down in history as the muddiest of my races, and the only one where I had to sit in my car for 10 minutes afterwards with the heated seat blasting before I stopped shaking long enough to drive home. Last year's race was significantly better, drier afoot, almost humid, and I crossed the finish in a tank top. 

This year, as evidenced by the photo, was its own bag of ridiculousness.  I've never run on trails with 4-6 inches of snow and I think there's a reason for that. It wears a body out! But the Trail Mix remains one of my favorite races in town and one I know I'll sign up for every year. Hosting three races with staggered times, a 50K, 25K, and 50K relay, runner traverse four, two, or one lap around the park, respectively.  And I use the word "traverse" because I did not personally do a heck of a lot of what would be considered running on my second lap.  A rolling course with few flat patches, one lap is a doozy of a workout without snow, much less with the added friction and instability of trails packed with the white stuff.  Short bursts of paved trail at the beginning and midway through the lap allow for a quick reprieve from the trail, which I think would bother me in a non-snowy race as I prefer 100% trail, but today I was thankful for brief breaks in the unsteady, exhausting snow slogging. 

The race is well-organized, especially given how cheap it is ($37 is a steal) and the organizers/volunteers are enthusiastic, trail-loving cheerleaders for all racers.  Three water/snack stops pepper each lap, with serving of trail mix (of course), bananas, flat coke (a race fave of mine), water, and gatorade and each stop. One thing I love about trail races is how genial everyone is, how supportive.  I routinely bring up the rear in this race and was passed often but the number of runners that call out a "good job" as they speed past me is encouraging.  Road runners just do not do that. 

If you're looking for a first foray into trail running, the 50K relay would be a great place to start. One lap, or 7.75 miles, is doable for anyone who has a 10K under their belt. Just keep in mind when you sign up that late April is clearly a crapshoot. Snow? Mud? Some combo of the two? Exciting!

Follow me on Twitter @TheMinneapolite

No comments:

Post a Comment