Thursday, April 18, 2013

Blue Door Pub Longfellow

The Blue Door Longfellow was my celebratory indulgence following the Goldy's 10 miler.  Ten miles is all well and good, but there is no way that covered the caloric whammy of this meal.  But I like to think that the 1000 or so calories burned during the race at least covered the fried pickles...

Ah yes, fried pickles.  I've had some fried pickle spears recently, which I consider to be mildly blasphemous.  Fried pickles should be in chip form and preferably have a cornmeal batter.  However, I don't think Minnesotans are as cornmeal-happy as my Southern brethren, so I soldier on, cornmeal-free.  That disappointment aside, I can't find any flaw in the Blue Door fried pickles.  Not a cornmeal batter but who really cares when these little gems come out perfectly golden and crispy, with a perfect briny bite.  Served with an aioli, I opted for ketchup.  Not knocking aioli, I just love fried pickles and ketchup.

I will also admit that I had one bite of the spam bites.  There's nothing bad about this, my roadblock is purely mental.  I don't do spam. But for those of you that do, the Blue Door should be your favorite place on the planet. 

The Blucy (burger stuffed with goods) list is overwhelming.  I was torn between the Bangkok Blucy's promise of coconut milk-soaked mozzarella and pickled veggies and the that-is-crazy element of the Jiffy, which sports a smear of, yes, Jiffy peanut butter.  I opted for the Jiffy in no small part because it won Best Burger from City Pages and because my date insisted it was a life experience I was lacking. He ordered the Horsekick Blucy and as I wanted to try more than one burger, we split the two.  I highly recommend doing the same with any number of guests at your table.  Order as many as you can and divide those things up because each one, from what I gather, is its own little masterpiece. 

The Jiffy was overwhelming in its creamy richness, one bite and I kinda felt like finishing it would anger the powers that be and I'd no longer be allowed to eat yummy things, having reached my quota of burger awesomeness. The Horsekick was lighter (ha! "lighter" is totally relative, right? "lighter" as compared to a cheeseburger smeared with peanut butter), crisper, with that bite of horseradish.  I polished it off first, just couldn't stop dipping it in that side of jus, the deliciousness wouldn't quit.  This proved to be a detriment to my Jiffy consumption.  I couldn't hack it, and ended up with the majority of my half languishing uneaten.  Very, very sad.  

Given our ease at getting seated on a Saturday night (waited for 20 minutes, tops, and we were still nursing our first beers when seated) and the proximity to Riverview Theatre, I can't imagine letting this place sit unvisited for too long.  I still need to try that Bangkok Blucy...

Follow me on Twitter @TheMinneapolite

No comments:

Post a Comment