Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Foxy Falafel

This spot has been on my to-do list for awhile. And had I realized how 1) delicious and 2) cheap it was, I would have explored sooner! Tucked away on Raymond in St. Paul, Foxy Falafel is just plain adorable. Originating as a stellar food truck that popped up at farmers markets around town, the restaurant is now a permanent hub for anyone who needs a crispy falafel (chickpeas sprouted in house!) fix.

We arrived around 6:30 pm on a Tuesday and there were several empty tables (made finding a spot easy, but I'd prefer to see a great place like this hoppin' at suppertime).  You order up front, a combo of options (salad, sandwich, or platter) that you grace with either falafel or meat. The salad was $8, a mere $2 more than a meal at Subway.  Make the exciting choice.

I chose the beet falafel on a greek salad and it was perfect.  The crispy yet dense falafel balls were hot and wonderfully spiced and the harissa on the side added just enough kick. My friend, Kim, ordered the turkey shwarma and she didn't offer me a bite so I'm assuming that's a too-good-to-share choice. We noticed the happy hour special too late; $.25 falafel balls seem almost criminal.  Can I buy $20 worth and just freeze those babies? With two other falafel flavors to try (traditional and curry), I'm envisioning many an evening of falafel balls, beer, and walks around the not-far-away-at-all Como. The cauliflower steaks and baba ganoush look like appetizers worth tackling, too. And the $1 off sides (and $1 pickle plate) make happy hour that much sweeter.

On our post-supper walk, Kim and I each commented on how good our supper was, "man, that was fantastic!" We'd talk about something else for awhile and then one of us would say, "boy, that was really good." One of those spots that inspires constant accolades, which means we'll need to be constant patrons.

Follow me on Twitter @TheMinneapolite


No comments:

Post a Comment