Saturday, December 29, 2012

Cajun 2 Geaux

As I've probably mentioned too many times, I'm not from here. I'm originally from Arkansas and moved here from New Orleans.  To say that I miss cajun food would be an understatement. I dream about fried oysters fairly often.  So I was overjoyed to discover Cajun 2 Geaux would be serving the grub at Harriet Brewing last night.

I'm bummed I didn't take a picture of my shrimp po'boy, but I plowed into it so fast it was gone in under 5 minutes. The french bread is important, you can screw up a po'boy immediately if your bread is crap. But Chef Tim is from Houma, Louisiana, and he is well aware of that fact, because the bread is perfect. Po'boys are simple. Some fried happiness (preferably oysters, crawdads, or shrimp, in my opinion), some lettuce and tomato, a little smear of something, Tabasco, and you're done. But simple is easy to ruin because people want to improve upon the classic.  Happily, Chef Tim just knows how to make a mean po'boy and doesn't try to insert any frivolities. I wish there was a smear of mayo involved, but with the amount of Tabasco I dump on my shrimp, maybe the mayo is really just my own requisite to balance out the heat.

The shrimp was really perfect.  Not too heavily breaded and with the perfect touch of cajun seasoning to remind me of the city I no longer call home. In fact, I will admit right now that I dropped one of those shrimp on the floor (a brewery warehouse-y floor, people) and I picked it up and ate it. Yeah. Serious shrimp.

And since I said "New Orleans" in the correct fashion, Chef Tim threw me some beads. A little bit of Mardi Gras on a cold, January night...

Follow me on Twitter @TheMinneapolite

No comments:

Post a Comment