Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Salty Tart


I think this photo may actually do justice to the Platonic ideal that is the Salty Tart cupcake. As recommended, I let this little baby warm up for a few minutes before digging in.  While the Surly Furious cake doesn't have a seriously Surly flavor, there's a richness to the batter that I imagine gets some heft from that very yummy local beer. 


The cake portion is perfectly moist but doesn't wilt under that substantial dose of frosting.  Moistness is important in a cupcake but I think the best cupcakes have an airy quality, not that mush-it-down-with-your-fork-and-watch-the-butter-ooze effect that I like in my non-cupcake cakes. This was the perfect blend of moist and airy, and that cream filling was reminiscent, sure, of the Hostess variety, but so much fluffier. 

I noted the white chocolate and cranberry cake and was conflicted in my cupcake choice, but a dose of chocolate was what this woman needed on a Sunday afternoon.  White chocolate and cranberry will be experienced another day, preferably soon.

Check out The Salty Tart at Midtown Global Market, and follow moi on Twitter @TheMinneapolite.

No comments:

Post a Comment