Sunday, March 31, 2013

Eat Shop

I don't make it to Plymouth often.  Ever, really. But as I celebrated Easter in Eden Prairie, a trip to Eat Shop in Plymouth seemed like less of a hike and I'm happy to confirm that it'll be a great choice for future sojourns to the western burbs. The restaurant is larger than I expected (don't know why I expected it to be small), with lots of tables and bar space for happy hour purposes. The outdoor firepit space would be fun for summer evenings. The menu is extensive, a kind of anybody-can-find-something (gluten-free buns for the burgers available and a couple vegetarian entrees) type place, which is nice for groups.  And I'm impressed by the happy hour menu offerings. A happy hour burger and fries for $6? Not too shabby.
 
 As I gave up meat for Lent, the Eat Plate, complete with house made bologna and summer sausage, just seemed like the only way to kick off our Easter lunch.  We polished off that plate quickly, every component getting its own exclamation at the table. "That swordfish is great!" "I love the bologna." "That cheese is really good." I would have liked a bigger pile of peppers, but that's the story of my life. And our communal love for the swordfish just made it clear to me that we'll need to go back and try the swordfish fritter appetizer sometime. I can only daydream about the possibilities.

I next dug into the duck salad with duck confit, spiced walnuts, pear, and a bacon-duck vinaigrette topped with a poached egg. My only complaint was that the salad seemed a bit overdressed, which overpowered the other components.  My mom's shrimp salad with pimento fried shrimp and blue cheese vinaigrette was more lightly dressed and crisp.  But the duck confit was wonderful and the mixture of duck and poached egg was decadent and delicious.  I'd order this again, but probably ask for the dressing on the side.

We were too full for dessert but as I plan on returning for some swordfish fritters, I'll have to save room for something sweet next time, too.

Follow me on Twitter @TheMinneapolite


No comments:

Post a Comment