Saturday, March 30, 2013

Minnesota Swarm

The last time I saw a lacrosse game I was wearing pearls and heels, courtesy of the Southern tradition embodied by my alma mater in Small Town, Virginia.  I remember very little of the game aside from the fact that all the players were very attractive. 

Fast forward over a decade (sheesh) and I'm at my first professional lacrosse game, cheering on the Minnesota Swarm at the Xcel Center. While the first half proved competitive, with the Swarm and the Philadelphia Wings battling back and forth to ratchet up 5 points respectively, the second half was a blood bath.  The Swarm pounded the Wings for a final 20-11 victory, making my first pro experience even sweeter. 

Honestly, I had no idea this many people in the Cities cared about lacrosse.  The total attendance was over 8,000, and the seats were bouncing with tons of kids, their adults enjoying a beer while the little ones went a bit crazy.  It really seemed like the perfect place to let some youngsters blow off steam, considerably more laidback (and a lot less prone to cursing drunks) than other professional sports clubs in town. The half-time entertainment (a high school lacrosse shoot-out crafted on the Hunger Games), the music, the constant encouragement from the announcers, all were 100% geared towards helping a family have a good time. 

And that isn't to say that the kid-free are overwhelmed by munchkins.  A solid beer selection, skilled athletes, and enthusiastic fans made for an exciting evening, and all the more enjoyable because I was in the company of a Philly supporter. 

A great Friday night activity in St. Paul and one I hope to repeat soon!

Follow me on Twitter @TheMinneapolite

No comments:

Post a Comment