Saturday, March 16, 2013

Get Lucky Half-Marathon

Last year's Get Lucky Half-Marathon was nearly 50 (fifty!) degrees warmer than this year's 20 degree start.  March is a complete crapshoot, I realize.  Maybe it'll be 70.  Maybe it'll be snowing.  But this morning I lusted for the warming tents Team Ortho supplies for some of its other races. I have few complaints about this race, as Team Ortho does a great job running a smooth race worthy of its admittedly steep price tag (roughly $70 for the half). But I wonder if it would be possible for planners to look at the forecast and plan for a few warming tents at the start if the temp is going to be sub-30 (and windy). I know I would have been super appreciative and given the number of crazies in kilts, I'm positive I'm not the only one. 

The only other stressor that I feel like could have been avoided was a bizarre line for the bag check.  Bag check should not take any time.  It appeared that only two people were working the table so perhaps the team just suffered from a few volunteers not showing up, which could certainly happen on such a cold morning. But there was a lot of griping in the bag check line and that could be avoided with more helpers and/or gear bags given at the packet pickup. 

I think the Team Ortho events on the whole would be great races for beginner racers.  They tend to be huge and the crowd provides a great deal of adrenaline and excitement pre-race. There's a decent amount of community support, even with sub-optimal weather.  And the cheeky revelry of running leprechauns and/or halloween costumes (a la Monster Dash in October) allows new runners to relax a bit.  This race was one of the slowest I've had in years, thanks in part to a fall at mile 10 that caused a good deal of limping the last 3 miles. Ice is no joke.  But even a slowpoke like myself didn't bring up the rear.  And even if I did, the running community in the Twin Cities is such that I wouldn't much mind.  

All in all, one of the more expensive half-marathons in town, but usually worth the expense. Great swag, good organization, and salted nut rolls in the post-race goodie bag. Solid. 

Follow me on Twitter @TheMinneapolite

No comments:

Post a Comment