Saturday, May 18, 2013

Regla De Oro Gallery

Until I spoke with owner, Jessica Smith, I thought Regla De Oro Gallery was a new addition to the Lyn-Lake community. Not the case, this lovely shop simply relocated to its new digs next to Eat WSK this past November. A move of only a couple blocks from its previous location, it was still brand new to me and I imagine others in the community will similarly kick themselves for having missed out on this gem until its move.

But better late than never, folks! Specializing in local artists and fair trade gifts from over 30 countries, this Ten Thousand Villages affiliate is the perfect spot for gift-seeking.  And, if you're like me, a quest to purchase a couple of gifts will likely end up with a selfish purchase, too.  I sometimes avoid shops with the word "gallery" in the title, largely because I assume such shops are well out of my predominantly frugal price range. But Regla De Oro has price points to satisfy every wallet. The adorable finger puppet set pictured with this post was less than $20 (a gift for a one-year old's upcoming birthday) and the earrings (yeah, those are totally for me) were less than $15.  But if you want to invest in jewelry or art with a steeper price tag, there were lovely pieces on display that would suit your fancy.

Rotating local artists and donating a portion of proceeds to arts education and social justice non-profits, Regla De Oro is a conscientious shopper's dream.  So next time you're poking around Lyn-Lake looking for gifts for loved ones (or yourself), stop by and support our local artist community and Regla de Oro's impressive list of fair trade gift communities.

Follow me on Twitter @TheMinneapolite


No comments:

Post a Comment