Monday, May 6, 2013

Senor Wong

A roommate of mine in college used to make her own kimchee. I remember thinking the glass jars looked to contain mangled body parts, wholly inedible. It's so sad to know I lived for months in the company of homemade Korean food and never asked for a taste. 

Nowadays, I take every opportunity to inject more kimchee into my life. Lucky me, Senor Wong was a recent stop for a late supper. We walked in around 8:30 on Saturday so finding a table was no problem.  We split three dishes, a Korean spare rib appetizer, a bowl of crazy noodles (not pictured because it came out fuzzy), and a banana-soaked donut-y dessert that I loved but cannot remember the name of...

All three choices were good, especially with my requisite dollop of the table side red pepper/chili oil.  The kimchee was flavorful but not as kicky and spicy as some others I've enjoyed.  I don't mind adding my own heat, but a little more zing would have been cool.  The spare ribs were tender and deliciously spiced, a great way to kick off the meal.

The crazy noodles are a perfect-for-sharing bowl of rice noodles with ground chicken and garlic sauce, similar to a pad thai in some ways, with less sweetness. Again, I added a good deal of the chili oil paste to this dish.  

The dessert was great.  The waitress described it as a type of donut, but I didn't feel like it had any distinct donut flavor (there seems to be a Minnesotan attachment to that mini-donut flavor, which I find odd).  I was risking it with a donut anyway given my general aversion to donuts (I know, weird). This was lighter than I expected and the roasted bananas were the perfect sweet finish. If all donuts tasted like this, I might give them another go. 

Follow me on Twitter @TheMinneapolite

No comments:

Post a Comment