Friday, July 20, 2012

The Bakken Museum

I work in the energy field, so let me provide that disclaimer up front.  Electricity, to me, is not just sparkly and helpful, it pays my salary and energizes (ha!) my brain. I've spent the last four+ years building a stockpile of worthwhile and worthless anecdotes about electrons and their sometimes problematic transport across transmission lines, their sometimes worrisome generation, and their always interesting journey from point A to point B (source and sink, for those of a mind to care).

I provide this background because I entered the Bakken with a well-established nerdhood on the subject of electricity and I realize that this may not be common. Might be weird.  So my joy at poking around their exhibits may be unique but given the squeals of joy coming from a range of teenagers to 6 year-old to adults (maybe myself), I don't think I was the only one who enjoyed the 2 hours tucked beside Lake Calhoun.

The museum is normally $7 for adults, which I think is reasonable and fair given the range of exhibits and uniqueness of the museum and the building it inhabits.  I lucked out on this first trip because the museum is free during the 10 days of Aquatennial.  But I would have happily spent the $7.

The museum is small but there are a number of highly interactive exhibits which I found fascinating. Brain wave battles and shock generators are always a good time.  The exhibit on powering Minnesota was also fascinating as it details how utilities marketed their newfangled technology.

The museum is open until 8 on Thursdays and while a number of people were wandering around with us, it wasn't crowded.  This also afforded a father-and-son duo to have free reign over a couple of experiments, which I imagine would be The Coolest Thing Ever for a little kid.

Highly recommended (especially if you follow your visit with a trip aroud Calhoun and supper at the Tin Fish)!

No comments:

Post a Comment