Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Victor's 1959

I am somewhat obsessed with trying new things.  Life is long, too long to spend going to the same haunts, the same coffee shops, the same gas stations, the same, the same, the same...

However, despite my love of All Things New (to me), there are a handful of places in the Cities that get my repeat business again and again. Victor's 1959 Cafe is one of those places.  Victor's is tucked away at Grand and 38th in South Minneapolis, just across the street from Grand Cafe (a locale I need to try).  It's easy to miss due to its petite, tucked-away-ness, but once you catch it you'll find yourself wondering, "how on earth have I missed it all these years?"  It's intimate, delicious, and affordable, and deserves a trek to South Minnie sometime. Due to its tiny size, however, I definitely recommend reservations. Brunch, lunch, and dinner are always packed as the locals know it as the go-to for hit-the-spot Cuban/Caribbean cuisine.

I go back and forth between the Picadillo a la Cubana and the Camarones al Ajillo.  The Picadillo is a mixture of ground beef, olives, raisins, and a sweet and tangy red sauce that is just aching for a few shakes of Tabasco (readily available, don't worry).  I always debate plantains vs. yuca frita and usually the plantains win, but tonight I went the yuca frita route and was not disappointed.  The Camarones consists of five shrimp  lightly dressed and sauteed in a lime and garlic sauce and words cannot describe how awesome the tostones (mashed plantains fried into patties) are dipped in that lime and garlic wonder.  Tonight I went for the Picadillo but given my continual mental struggle over these two dishes, I know I'll have to return soon to give the Camarones their due.

And while I'm dedicated to these two choices, I've also had some fantastic alternatives.  Victor's is famous for their Ropa Vieja, profiled as it was on the Food Network, and I have nothing but good things to say about their Cuban sandwich.  And with so many dishes to test drive, it's lucky that the place is so affordable.Two people can happily enjoy a couple drinks and a couple entrees for less than $50.  Make it in time for happy hour (ends at 6:30) and those drinks will be a slim $4.   

I avoided dessert tonight (too many restaurant trips of late, needed to show a modicum of restraint this time) but I really love their guava shells with cream cheese and sweet crackers.  This is a traditional Cuban dessert and, while simple, it's a fantastic way to leave something light and sweet on the palate as you walk out the door. And speaking of leaving, don't forget to leave your mark on a wall nearby.  I etched my initials along with that of a dear comrade (always game for new restaurant jaunts) on the wall near the bar, and you should do the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment