Monday, July 16, 2012

Summertime Free Stuff: Minnehaha Falls

A dear friend, Sandy, came to visit me this weekend.  Sandy and I met here in Minneapolis shortly after I moved to the Cities from New Orleans.  Sandy was a fellow Southerner and we bonded instantly.  She moved back home to Virginia a few years ago but we stay in touch via email and with excellent long weekend trips like this one.

Sandy requested a trip to Minnehaha Falls as it was a destination she failed to experience while living here.  I was 100% game in large part because I'd only been once before, which seemed rather embarassing for someone who'd lived here for five years.  We met up with another friend, Sharon, and ate some fish tacos (soon to be reviewed, promise), sweated a good deal, drank some beer, and wandered down the steps to the bridge below the waterfall for some pictures.

I had NO idea there was such a lovely walking path down there! I didn't even realize (before sitting down for lunch) that there were stairs.  Sandy and I wandered down the path (mostly dirt) with the creek running to our left and marveled at how fantastic a place this would be if you had kids (or, in the alternative, if you were just a person-who-likes-sitting-in-small-rivers-when-it's-hot-outside).  Scores of munchkins were splashing around at various points in the creek and making the most of a 95+ degree days in Minnesota.

Next time, I'll wear clothes I can wade around in, it seemed sad to just putz around on dry land.

No comments:

Post a Comment