Sunday, August 19, 2012

Amoos Artisan Ice Cream

Sometimes unexpectedly awesome edibles walk through my door. This time, they were brought by a decidedly good boyfriend (who served as the hand model for the professional-grade photo accompanying this post) who picked up a flight of Amoos Artisan Ice Cream while at the Northeast Farmers Market.  I'm a lucky girl, right?

As I wasn't at the market, I can't attest to anything about the stand or other flavor offerings other than what Amoos has listed on their facebook page. But I'm totally enthralled by the concept of Rhubarb Rosewater Yogurt and hope to experience that one someday.

The flight idea is genius!  For $9 you get four cups (roughly 1/2 cup each, maybe a little more) to try whatever flavor your heart desires.  We tried Rice Krispie Treat, Pineapple Salsa, Chocolate Hazelnut Gelato, and Chevre with Cherries.  I have to say, I would not get the Pineapple Salsa one again.  I love pineapple.  I love pineapple salsa.  But evidently I do not love it as an ice cream inspiration.  But three outta four ain't bad and I give Amoos a big high five for test driving unique flavor profiles.  Of the remaining three, I'd rank them as follows:

1. Chocolate Hazelnut Gelato: I'm just a sucker for chocolate, really.  And if I was craving a bowl of ice cream (when am I not?), this thick, Nutella-esque miracle would surely satisfy. It would be even better with a heap of fresh strawberries, which I will make a mental note of for future ice cream dreams.

2. Chevre: This was just so different and delicious, I definitely could have eaten a pint of it in one sitting.  Goat cheese is a distinct flavor and Amoos manages to balance that very specific flavor with the perfect amount of cherries and maybe honey (?). You definitely knew that you were eating some super creamy, rich goat cheese, but there was also no doubt that you were eating a softly sweet and decadent dessert.  I honestly go back and forth between the Chevre and the Chocolate as my favorite.  I'm conflicted.  And if I'm conflicted over a battle involving Chocolate, you must know that the non-Chocolate choice is truly wonderful.

3. Rice Krispie: I have nothing bad to say about this one, who can talk smack about ice cream with rice krispie treats and chunks of chocolate? My boyfriend ranked this higher in his preferences than I did, so clearly it will have some vociferous supporters.  To me, while delicious and crave-worthy, it just wasn't magical enough to commit to for future servings.  Meaning, if I returned to Amoos and tried another flight with different flavors, I would REALLY want to order the Chocolate Hazelnut and the Chevre again and forego experiencing other concoctions.  But I could definitely skip the Rice Krispie flavor in favor of trying some Earl Grey Honey or Rhubarb Rosewater.

Amoos is at the NE Farmers Market every Saturday and the Minnetonka Farmers Market on Tuesday afternoons, so you have two chances to testdrive a flight of your own.  Let me know what you think! I imagine I'll need help picking my next round of flavors.

Follow my ice cream (and all other) escapades on Twitter @TheMinneapolite

No comments:

Post a Comment