Saturday, August 4, 2012

Cafe Ena

Cafe Ena is one of those places I forget exists.  This isn't to say it's forgettable, by any means, only that I get consumed by all the new (to me) places I want to try and poor Cafe Ena is left behind.  But no restaurant that serves a crab and avocado masterpiece like that pictured deserves such ill-attention.  It may sit on the appetizer menu but this little guy packs a protein and flavor-laden punch that suited me fine (with the addition of some tortilla chips) for dinner.

I will add a mild disclaimer here.  I'm not a "fusion" fan.  I think the term is overused.  So whenever I see a menu or hear of a restaurant with the word "fusion" in the mix (asian fusion, latin fusion, mediterranean fusion, fried chicken fusion) I tend to be a smidge skeptical. But I forgive Cafe Ena for this "fusion" (latin, in its case) business simply because the food is that good.  I don't care what genre of restaurant it assumes itself to be, it's well executed, creative fare that doesn't over-complicate itself.  The ingredients are fresh, the presentation pretty, the result, delicious. Fuse away.

My little group of friends sat outside, celebrating a birthday, and I don't think there's any drink that better embraces the sunshine than sangria.  Cafe Ena, happily, makes a lovely glass, not too sweet or heavy on the fruit, which was the perfect companion to my meal.  Sitting in the company of friends, laughing over failed online dates and the adventures of 30-something folks...this is why sunshine and good food exist.

I can't help but think a worthy night for anyone would involve drinks and dinner at Cafe Ena followed by more drinks and dessert at King's across the street.  Cafe Ena may be tucked away at 46th and Grand, a bit hidden from the hustle and bustle of Uptown (which is a good thing, in my opinion), but there's a lot of deliciousness waiting to be experienced on that corner and I recommend you take advantage of the sunshine with a glass of their sangria in hand.

Follow my foodie-ness on Twitter @TheMinneapolite.

No comments:

Post a Comment