Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Flamingo Restaurant

I have a weakness for Ethiopian food.  Fasika, in St. Paul, introduced me to what Minnesota had to offer on that cuisine and it has become a family favorite. But for this Ethiopian experience, I wanted to try something new.  Flamingo Restaurant was recommended as a great place for vegetarians/vegans and since I was in the company of one of these strange, meat-eschewing folk (my sister), I decided to give Flamingo a whirl.

It's wonderful! The trouble it has is that it's tucked away on Syndicate right in the heart of that light rail construction so I imagine its patronage suffers strictly due to parking issues.  But really, there is plenty of side street parking on Sherburne and the rstaurant is worth the effort.  Coming from Minneapolis, taking 94 E to Snelling (left) to Sherburne (right) to Syndicate (right), got me there with no trouble.

If you haven't tried Ethiopian food, you're missing out.  First off, there is no better way to start a meal than with an order of sambusas, pastry shells stuffed with lentils or beef and then fried.  Flamingo's variety was absolutely perfect, the pastry shells hot and crisp and the interior oozing with onions, lentils, and enough spices to warrant the glass of water. The main course, a vegetarian combo,  is traditionally eaten with one's hands with the help of healthy pile of injera bread.  Having lived in Morocco for a time, eating with my hands is a happy, visceral experience for me but if you're skittish about getting your hands messy, our waitress did offer us a fork if we so desired. The dishes are spiced with cumin, turmeric, garlic, and berbere spices, which remind me a bit of Ras El Hanout spicing in Moroccan cooking.  Some of the dishes are a smidge spicy, but I have a pretty high tolerance for heat and enjoy the occasional kick. Lentils play a key role in the vegetarian entrees and I favored the red and yellow lentils over the brown.  The cabbage dish is also popular and I loved the spinach.

As I'm a big fan of Fasika, not far away, I couldn't help but make a comparison.  Flamingo's food is top notch, and they may be a better locale for two people looking to share a combo.  The combo plates at Fasika are really better suited for 3 people and they run a bit pricier.  Our combo was the perfect size for two people and only cost $14.  Throw in an order of sambusas and some Special Juice (guava and mango and strawberries...delicious for dessert), and you've got a great meal for under $30.

There's a soft spot in my heart for Flamingo, too, because it is owned by two East African women proud and excited to share their food and hospitality.  Their website references their friendship and their desire to share the foods and experiences of their ancestors:


Our story can speak to other East African women about possibilities that can exist in spite of the obstacles we faced.” -Shegitu Kebede.


“We had a bond right away because we shared the same dream.” -Frewoini Haile


It was lovely to experience their dream tucked into a side street in St. Paul.  I hope you'll visit, too.

Check out all my culinary experiences on Twitter @TheMinneapolite

No comments:

Post a Comment